Proper handling and precautions for external drives
Make sure to read the following precautions that are essential for using your external hard drive.
- Use only in a system that satisfies the system requirements.
- For better performance and reliability, upgrade the operating system to the latest version.
- Use the power supply that came with the drive, or one with the same specifications.
- Always backup important data, as Seagate does not warranty the data on your external drive.
- Avoid damp areas, since moisture may cause corrosion.
- Unauthorized disassembly of the product and removal of the labeling will void your warranty.
- Protect the system and the external drive by performing virus checks on a regular basis.
- Always safely remove the external drive before disconnecting the external drive from the computer.
- Avoid handling the drive roughly as it is a mechanical device.
- Current Seagate, Samsung, and Maxtor external drives are compatible with Windows Vista or later and MacOSX 10.4.8 or later at a hardware level.