This article is for informational purposes only and no longer being updated by Seagate.
My second external drive isn't detected in Windows
Sometimes only one of two external (ie, GoFlex, Backup Plus) drives mounts with a drive letter when connected to Windows.
This is caused if two drives have the same drive signature, which can occur when drives are setup in a mass production environment or when they are cloned.
The issue can be quickly fixed by forcing the drive on-line. To force a drive online in Windows:
- Press Windows key () + R.
- In the run box type diskmgmt.msc
- On the right, scroll down so you can see your external drives.
- You will notice that the 1st external drive is Online.
- You will notice that the other external drive is Offline.
- Right-click on Offline (in the grey area of the box) and choose Online from the menu.
The drive should show in Computer (Window Explorer) in a few seconds.