How to install Windows on a SATA drive
If you are installing a drive that has already been used, be sure to copy any files you will ever want to see again onto a computer or backup drive. For detailed information on how to install Windows on a hard drive please contact the Windows support. If the drive is not detected during or after loading the Serial ATA motherboard drivers, please troubleshoot the problem at our Serial ATA troubleshooter.If this is a SATA drive and it is not recognized in the above step, you may need to install drivers provided by the motherboard manufacturer if the drive is connected directly to the motherboard, or install drivers provided by the controller card manufacturer if the drive is connected directly to a SATA PCI controller card.To install the driver for the SATA controller on the motherboard or PCI controller card, you will need to click Load Driver. REFERENCE TO THIRD PARTIES AND THIRD PARTY WEB SITES. Seagate references third parties and third party products as an informational service only, it is not an endorsement or recommendation - implied or otherwise - of any of the listed companies. Seagate makes no warranty - implied or otherwise - regarding the performance or reliability of these companies or products. Each company listed is independent from Seagate and is not under the control of Seagate; therefore, Seagate accepts no responsibility for and disclaims any liability from the actions or products of the listed companies. You should make your own independent evaluation before conducting business with any company. To obtain product specifications and warranty information, please contact the respective vendor directly. There are links in this document that will permit you to connect to third-party web sites over which Seagate has no control. These links are provided for your convenience only and your use of them is at your own risk. Seagate makes no representations whatsoever about the content of any of these web sites. Seagate does not endorse or accept any responsibility for the content, or use, of any such web sites.
- Insert the Windows disc into the CD-ROM / DVD drive/USB flash drive.
- Power down the computer.
- Mount and connect the Serial ATA hard drive.
- Power up the computer.
- Choose language and region and then to Install Operating System.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
- On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and click Next.
- Click on Install Windows and follow on-screen prompts.
- During the installation check is the driver is list as unallocated with the respective capacity listed (see example) or if the drive is partitioned, when selecting the partition to install Windows, make sure it has the required capacity to proceed with proper installation.
- If you want to delete a partition, Click on Drive options (advanced)
- Highlight the partition you want to delete, click on Delete and on Next, when a prompt message appears click OK.
- At this point the partition will show as Unallocated Space and is ready to proceed with Windows installation.
Please rate the helpfulness of this article