Business Storage Rackmount NAS - How to join to a domain and assign domain users and groups to shares using NAS OS 3
Provides instructions for joining a Rackmount NAS to a Domain and assign relevant privileges.
Please follow this procedure to join the Business Storage Rackmount NAS to a domain and assign domain users and groups to shares:
- Access the administrator's page of the Rackmount NAS by launching the Seagate Network Assistant and pressing the Web access to the NAS OS Dashboard button, or by typing the IP address of the device in the address bar of a web browser.
- Under Settings in the left sidebar, select General.
- Complete all the fields in the Domain configuration window. Choose Advanced criteria to enter Domain's Server name and IP address. After successfully joining, the message Joined to (Domain Name) will display.
You can then proceed to Add Domain Users to Shares (to create shares as needed, or existing shares can be used.)
- Select Users on the left sidebar and select Import from domain.
The Import a user from the domain box will open.
- Type in a domain user’s name or type in a single letter such as an r. A list of domain users that include the letter r will display.
- Select the domain user from the results list and select Import.
- That Domain User has been added to the list of Users. The small grey icon next to the name indicates a Domain User.
- On the left sidebar, select Shares, then locate a share.
- Under the Users column, click in the field to the right of the share name.
- A Users box opens for the chosen share. Select Edit.
- Select the domain user's name under Users and click the right arrow button to add the user to the Read + Write Access field or the Read access field, then select Close.
Then you can proceed to to Adding Domain Groups to Shares.
- In the left sidebar, select Groups, then Import from domain.
The Import the group from the domain box will open.
- Type in a domain group’s name or the first letter of a domain group's name.
In the below example, we used the letter a. Groups beginning with that letter will populate.
- Choose a Group name and select Import.
Then you may proceed to Assigning a Domain Group to a share.
- In the left sidebar, select Shares and locate a share.
- Under the Group’s column, click in the Group’s field to the right of the share name.
A box will open for the share.
- On the Groups tab, select the imported domain group name and click the right arrow button to add that Domain Group to the Read + Write Access field or the Read access field then click the Close button.
The Rackmount NAS has now been joined to a domain. A domain user and group have been assigned to a share.
Did this article answer your question?
How could we make this article more helpful?