Seagate Central - How to check for firmware updates and update firmware
The most efficient way to update your Seagate Central firmware is to manually update it from the Seagate Download Finder. Follow the steps below to update your Seagate Central Firmware.
- Launch the Seagate Central’s user interface by opening the Seagate Central’s Public share and clicking on the “Manage the Seagate Central” link this will open the web UI (User Interface) of the drive. Note: If the drive does not show up in Windows Explorer or Finder you can open a web browser and type in http://Seagate-XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is the last six digits of the MAC address on the Seagate Central label, which can be found on the bottom of the device).
- Log in with your credentials.
- Select the Settings tab.
- Under the Advanced tab, select Firmware Update and note the currently installed version.
- Now navigate to the Seagate Download Finder. Note: Right click the link and choose open in new tab so that you don’t lose this page.
- Type in your Serial Number and the other required information. Then click Submit.
- Check the version of firmware that shows up and compare it to the version installed.
- If the version on the Download Finder is newer, then download it.
Note: The file will download as a .zip file so it will need to be extracted before use. Just right click the file and choose extract. Take note of where the file is extracted.
- Once the file is downloaded, go back to the web UI (User Interface) of the Central and click Choose File under the Install from file section.
- Browse to the newly downloaded firmware and choose Select.
- Then choose Install
- Wait while the firmware on your Central is updated
Always make sure your critical data is backed up before doing a firmware update.