Determining Internal Drive Details
Discussion of the multiple methods for identifying your drive and retrieving the model number, serial number and firmware revision without removing your drive.
To identify your drive, retrieve the model number, serial number and firmware revision without removing your drive. There are multiple methods:
- Seagate DriveDetect.exe method (recommended):
Click here to download Drive Detect.
When running Drive Detect you will see a screen like this. Look for the drives that are attached:
In the example above the Drive Name is the same as the Model: ST31500341AS, the serial number is 9VS00J20 and the firmware revision is SD1A.
- Device Manager Method:
Use Microsoft Windows Device Manager to see the model numbers of your disk drive.
- Choose Start | Run | type: devmgmt.msc
- Click OK.
- Expand the Disk Drive branch to see the model numbers:
- SeaTools for Windows Method:
Download SeaTools for Windows which displays all of the required information.
- Non-Seagate USB Devices with Seagate Drives Inside:
Seagate USB devices have the serial number printed on the external case. For others, please see Document ID: 213111.
- Open System Profiler or System Information depending on your version of Mac OS.
- On the left locate the interface you are using (ie, USB, SATA, Firewire, etc.)
- In the middle window locate the drive and select it
- In the middle at the bottom you should see the drive information
- You should be able to locate the serial and/or model number
Did this article answer your question?