Determining Internal Drive Details
To identify your drive, retrieve the model number, serial number and firmware revision without removing your drive. There are multiple methods:
- Seagate DriveDetect.exe method (recommended):
Click here to download Drive Detect.
When running Drive Detect you will see a screen like this. Look for the drives that are attached:
In the example above the Drive Name is the same as the Model: ST31500341AS, the serial number is 9VS00J20 and the firmware revision is SD1A.
- Device Manager Method:
Use Microsoft Windows Device Manager to see the model numbers of your disk drive.
- Choose Start | Run | type: devmgmt.msc
- Click OK.
- Expand the Disk Drive branch to see the model numbers:
- SeaTools for Windows Method:
Download SeaTools for Windows which displays all of the required information.
- Non-Seagate USB Devices with Seagate Drives Inside:
Seagate USB devices have the serial number printed on the external case. For others, please see Document ID: 213111.
- Navigate to the Apple Icon, select on (About This Mac)
- Select on System Report/system information (depending on your version of Mac OS.). A separate Window will open with the Mac information
- Left hand column under Hardware, locate the interface you are using (ie, USB, SATA, Firewire, etc.)
- In the middle window locate the drive and select it.
- In the middle at the bottom you should see the drive information
- You should be able to locate the serial and/or model number